Sunday, November 22, 2009

BSG

After a long war between humans and human created robots, the Cylons, an armistice is declared. The Cylons are banished to a distant planet and a remote space station is set up to keep up diplomatic relations between the Cylons and humans. This is where the BSG miniseries begins. It had been forty years since the Cylons and humans had any contact; however, on this day the Cylons do make an appearance on the remote space station. The lone human on the space station is very surprised by the Cylon appearance on the space station and even more surprised when he sees that they now look like humans. The Cylons, however, do not stay long. They soon destroy the ship beginning another war against the humans. The war begins by the Cylons dropping dozens of nuclear bombs on all of the major human cities. Caught completely off guard by the attack, the humans try and fight back, but the Cylons seem to have the ability to turn off human computers at will. However, the ship Battlestar Galactica is not affected by the Cylons computer virus and does rather well against the Cylons in a space fire fight.

I have never seen any of the BSG series, but from the miniseries it seems like a pretty good show. The plot behind it is really intriguing, and makes me wonder how the rest of the series goes. BSG has what seems like to me to be a kind of recurring theme among many science fiction movies and series today that humans create something to make their lives easier and it turns against them and almost destroys them. This theme is also shown in the Terminator movies where human created robots attempt to take over earth. I find this theme to be interesting for some reason. The prospect of something like this actually happening in future seems very plausible to me considering how our technology is exponentially progressing, and maybe humans should take note as to what is shown in these movies to prevent something like this from happening.

5 comments:

  1. I think that the series would be tons more entertaining than it already is if the governator were Number Six. That being said, I agree with you, this show does give us a warning to what our future may hold when we rrly more on robots than we do other people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your comparison to Terminator, but I have to say that I am more of a fan of Terminator than BSG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terminator are much better than BSG!!No doubt for this~

    ReplyDelete
  4. This show does serve as a warning as to what the future may hold for us or future generations...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Mack and Yang, the Terminator is a lot better then BSG. Also I'm not sure if this really is a warning to what our future may hold, because I believe that we are smart enough to control how far we take our "robots."

    ReplyDelete