Sunday, October 4, 2009

Mrs. Reynolds/ But She Was Naked

The Firefly episode our Ms. Reynolds was very interesting and not at all what I expected. The morning after a party, Mal unexpectedly finds a woman on the ship claiming to be his wife. Since Mal questions this, but Sheppard confirms that in the woman’s religion they were married the previous night. The woman Mal “married”, Saffron appears to be such a nice, quiet, and innocent girl. However, it turn out that she is actually a skillfully trained criminal and sabotages the ship to the point where the crew is unsure whether or not they will be able to get the ship back on course.

The article “But She Was Naked” discusses how Saffron use of words made her the least likely suspect for such sabotage to the ship, but at the same time allowed her to easily manipulate the crew. To do this Saffron uses a combination subtle hints of control over the crew and uses their emotions against them. After manipulating Mal and Wash, Saffron is able to sabotage the ship and escape.

I found this episode to be very surprising and interesting it really kept me guessing throughout the whole episode, and I really wish I could have stayed to see the end. The article really helped bring the episode together because of how it analyzed the language used and how it gave Saffron the ability to take over the ship without anyone suspecting it.

3 comments:

  1. The article was very helpful in regards to breaking down all of Saffron's subtle hints. PLaying the innocent card is a lethal weapon when it comes to guys. Nobody likes taking advantage or hurting somebody who doesnt look like they can hurt anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is fascinating how she was able to manipulate the whole crew through her innocence and by using everyone's emotions against them. She was very talented at what she did and probably loved to manipulate people because it made her feel more powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everyone here. This episode is loaded with irony. A cute innocence girl taking over this big huge ship? Not what I was expecting

    ReplyDelete